Saturday, March 3, 2007

When God speaks...

Teresa and I just returned home last night from participating in meetings this week with Dr. David Shibley's apostolic advisory council and during his pastor's forum at the beautiful Big Cedar Lodge in Branson, Missouri.

When I turned on my laptop to begin working this morning, I had not yet had time to read my latest copy of Christianity Today magazine. As I quickly perused the latest posts from a list of blogs I sometimes read, the phrase, "My Conversation with God”: An Anonymous Testimony That Made My Day" from the Charismatica blog by Vineyard Fellowship's Dr. Michael Davis caught my eye. Hats off to him for pointing the way to a great testimony of modern day, direct Holy Spirit leading by an anonymous professor of theology and contributing editor of Christianity Today who had never experienced anything like that until a little over one year ago.

Learning to recognize and respond to the voice of the Holy Spirit when He speaks to our inner being is a very important part of growing in Christ and fulfiling our spiritual destiny. The Apostle Paul put it this way, "...all who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God." (Romans 8:14, New Living Translation) Many months ago, I posted some rough notes entitled, "How Do I Know It's God? : Evaluating Prophetic Words" on my Lessons in Leadership blog for Christian leaders, listing seven important questions all of us need to ask ourselves as we seek to discern the voice of God guiding us through life.

One of the most important things for us to remember is that God wants to reveal His will to us and has promised to do so if we open our hearts to Him! In fact, the Bible is filled with precious promises from God, assuring those who love Him of His continual guidance. Here are a few worth hiding in your heart, the first three from the writings of the Old Testament prophet, Isaiah,

"21 Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, “This is the way; walk in it.”" (Isaiah 30:21, NIV)

"16 I will lead the blind by ways they have not known, along unfamiliar paths I will guide them; I will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth. These are the things I will do; I will not forsake them." (Isaiah 42:16, NIV)

"17 This is what the Lord says— your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel: “I am the Lord your God, who teaches you what is best for you, who directs you in the way you should go." (Isaiah 48:17, NIV)

One from the Old Testament Book of Psalms,

"8 I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you and watch over you." (Psalm 32:8, NIV)

And one from the first of three letters from the Apostle John in the New Testament,

"27 As for you, the anointing you received from him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about all things and as that anointing is real, not counterfeit—just as it has taught you, remain in him." (1 John 2:27, NIV)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting the video of Jim Cymbala. I've enjoyed his books but have not seen him in person. The testimony of his daughter coming back to the Lord is inspiring; prayer works!

    ReplyDelete