Saturday, August 23, 2008

Eric Liddle - A True Champion

Thanks to one of my favorite theological bloggers and authors, Ben Witherington, for a great post this afternoon about missionary Eric Liddle, entitled, "A Christian for the Ages." Eric Liddle was the Scottish Olympic runner whose life inspired one of my all-time favorite movies, "Chariots of Fire." Ben says NBC ran a piece during their Olympic coverage with Mary Carillo today on Eric. I wish I had seen it. If you find it anywhere online, please email me...!

The movie has some great lines and scenes, including Eric Liddle's famous statement, "God made me fast and when I run I feel His pleasure." My favorite scene is probably the one near the end of the movie where Eric runs and wins a race clutching a piece of paper with a particular verse of Scripture written on it (at least that is the way I remember it...I haven't viewed it in quite a while...!)

If you have never watched the movie, by the way and you live in Dallas, you can check it out for free from the Dallas Library system. Click here to see the movie's record in their online card catalog or here to see it on Amazon.com. I highly recommend it...!

No comments:

Post a Comment