Thursday, September 28, 2006

Godless Veggietales...?

If you have small children, grandchildren, close friends who have small children, or spend any time at all with small children, you have probably heard of the Christian cartoon series called, "Veggietales." In the words of their creator, they blend, "Sunday morning values and Saturday morning fun." While browsing the Men of Legacy website a few moments ago, I noticed that NBC has decided to air thirty minute Veggietale shows on Saturday morning, after editing them for what they consider to be inappropriate references to God.

Having lived in France for a number of years, I have long since stopped expecting commerical media to conform to my spiritual values and convictions, but as a parent of a four year old and a seven year old, for a mainstream media outlet like NBC to regularly air some of the trash they do during prime time, without any concern for its impact upon viewers, including children, but to then remove generic references to God (remember, these are not even references to Jesus...!) from Veggietales shows in order not to offend, strikes me as absolutely insane. CNN's news item on the subject states concerning Veggietales's creator,
"Had he known how much he would have to change the show -- including Bob and Larry's tagline, 'Remember kids, God made you special and he loves you very
much,' that concludes each episode -- Vischer said he would not have signed on
for the network deal. 'I would have declined partly because I knew a lot of fans
would feel like it was a sellout or it was done for money,' he said, adding that
'there weren't enough shows that could work well without those (religious) references.'"


This link will take you to the item on the Veggietales website that gives more of their response to the stir this has caused. My frustration, by the way, is not with the creators at Big Idea Productions - I understand why they made this decision and have nothing but respect for their integrity and the great blessing they have been to so many children - but with what I perceive to be a very hypocritical approach and evident bias at NBC.

Now that I've got that off my chest, I feel much better...! (Smile!)

No comments:

Post a Comment